Individual chicken potpies with roasted chicken, mushrooms, Swiss cheese and a sweet-potato biscuit crust.
Makes: 8 pies
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed grated light Swiss cheese (2 oz/57 g)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large rotisserie chicken, meat cut into chunks (light and dark meat)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup mashed/puréed cooked sweet potato (canned is fine)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place eight 7-oz ramekins on a baking sheet lined with foil and set aside.
2. To make filling, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large non-stick pot. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add celery and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender. Stir in peas and carrots, thyme, and poultry seasoning. Cook 1 more minute. Add broth and corn and let mixture simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together evaporated milk and flour until smooth. Add to pot. Cook and stir until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Add cheese and parsley and stir until cheese melts. Stir in cut-up chicken. Cover and keep warm.
1. To make biscuit topping, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sweet potato, and 2 tbsp of the melted butter. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir gently until a ball is formed.
2. With floured hands, transfer biscuit dough to a lightly floured surface and press out or roll dough to about 1/3-inch thickness. Using 21/2-inch-round cookie cutter, cut dough into circles just slightly smaller than the top of your ramekins.
3. Fill ramekins with warm chicken mixture and top with biscuit. Brush tops of biscuit with remaining melted butter. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until filling bubbles and biscuits are puffed up a golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. They’re very hot!
341 calories / 10 g total fat (4.5 g saturated fat) / 26 g protein / 37 g carbohydrate / 3.3 g fibre / 72 mg cholesterol /
658 mg sodium.