copyright fitstop fitness for women 2010
Recipes - Someone Pasta Meatballs
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups fresh whole grain bread crumbs (see tip)
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1 pound extra-lean ground sirloin
- 8 ounces light mild Italian sausage (remove casing and break into very small pieces)
- 1/3 cup packed freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for browning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced red onions
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can diced plum tomatoes with their liquid
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound high-fibre spaghetti (see tip)
1. In a small bowl, soak bread crumbs in milk for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, mix wet bread crumbs with all remaining meatball ingredients. Shape into 24 meatballs. (Hint: Press meat mixture into 1/3 cup measuring cup. Use this amount to make TWO meatballs.)
2. Heat olive oil in a deep, 14-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and brown on all sides. Remove meatballs from skillet and set aside. Do not drain off drippings or wipe skillet.
3. Tip: To make fresh bread crumbs, place a couple slices of whole grain bread in a food processor or mini chopper and pulse on and off until soft crumbs are formed.
1. Add onions, garlic and 1/4 cup water to same skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until onions are tender and water has evaporated. Add all remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add browned meatballs, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain well. Top spaghetti with sauce and meatballs. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan, if desired.
2. Tip: Look for high-fibre spaghetti (with inulin) beside the regular spaghetti and your grocery store, or choose whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti.
663 calories / 16.5 g total fat (5.6 g saturated fat) / 45 g protein / 86 g carbohydrate / 13.6 g fibre / 107 mg cholesterol / 749 mg sodium
who we are
what we offer
all the extras