When a person reaches fifty, they have learned to accept most of their imperfections. You no longer have to settle for that tummy bulge, arms that wave back or a sagging rear view. You can look just as attractive walking away as you would when you walk toward someone.
As a person ages, the ability to stay physcially active sometimes becomes less frequent. Because life has never-ending responsibilities, we often lack the motivation to keep moving. At the end of a busy day, we feel too exhausted to do anything other than relax in our favorite easy chair.
For decades, people have used all kinds of excuses why they cannot exericse. Exercise programs don't work, they lack the time, cannot make the commitment and the dreaded, "I hate to exercise." Maybe you started an exercise program in the past but got discouraged when you failed to drop those unwanted pounds. You never bothered to exercise when you were younger, so why start now. Baby boomers are becoming fit and active at fifty and above and are in the best shape of their lives.
Getting fit also has many benefits. It makes you feel good, look good, gives you more energy, helps you sleep better, helps to fight against most diseases and improves your sex drive. If you feel more confident about yourself, you feel more attractive.
Did you know that you could turn back the clock if you exercise regularly? If that isn't enough to get you motivated, nothing is. Have you ever wondered why your sister in her fifties looks forty-something? What about your best friend who is forty, has no physical activity and looks fifty.
Individuals are living well into their eighties and nineties. Getting into shape so you can make the most out of the next thirty plus years probably isn't such a bad idea.
Let's explore other fundamentals that can help you stay strong and get healthy.
- Muscle Toning - There are many reasons why you should build strong muscles with strength training. Building strong vibrant muscle increases metabolism, enhances energy, keeps your body in balance, keeps your bones in alignment, supports your skeleton and burns calories at rest.
- Stretching - It is just as important to stretch before and after exercise as it is to do the actual workout. Failure to stretch can make it difficult to achieve simple everyday activities such as putting on your shoes or reaching for something. It can also cause muscle tightness, soreness and injury. You can also improve your flexibility by doing a series of stretches everyday.
- Balance - You can learn balance techniques by practicing yoga. Balance building exercises are significant so you can react in certain situations to prevent yourself from falling and possibly breaking a hip.
- Don't forget to drink plenty of water! The body is made of 75 percent water. We are constantly losing water throughout the day through bowel movement, urine and sweat, so it is essential to replace what we lose by drinking clean clear water. The nutrient of life!
- Watch what you eat. Limit your intake of fats, sugar, sodium and caffeine. Replace unhealthy food with nutritious foods such as fruits, vegetables and lean cuts of meat.
Thus if you are quickly approaching the big 5-0, or perhaps you have already reached that important milestone, you can lead a full and active life. It is never too late to get fit and fabulous!