copyright fitstop fitness for women 2010
Recipes - Most Egg-cellent Breakfast Strata
Layered breakfast strata with Italian sausage and veggies.
Makes: 8 servings
- 3 cups low-fat herb-seasoned croutons
- 8 ounces light mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese
- 8 omega-3 eggs
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk or light (5%) cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Spray an 11 x 7-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread croutons evenly in bottom of dish. Set aside.
2. Spray a medium, non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Remove and discard casing from sausage. Break or cut sausage into small pieces and add to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until no longer pink, breaking up any large pieces. Add zucchini, onions and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir for about 3 more minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
3. To assemble strata, spoon sausage mixture evenly over croutons. Top with shredded cheese. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour egg mixture evenly over sausage and vegetables. Let strata stand for 15 minutes while you preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes, until eggs are completely set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
245 calories / 11.4 g total fat (4.4 g saturated fat) / 19 g protein / 17 g carbohydrate / 1.2 g fibre / 241 mg cholesterol / 607 mg sodium
who we are
what we offer
all the extras