copyright fitstop fitness for women 2010
Recipes - Janet and Greta's Chicken Cordon New
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey-Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup multigrain crackers, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked ham
- 4 ounces thinly sliced light Jarlberg or Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
1. You will need three shallow bowls (or small pie plates) for this recipe. Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Whisk together egg and honey mustard in first shallow bowl. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in second bowl. Mix together cracker crumbs, Parmesan, thyme and pepper in third bowl.
2. Place chicken pieces between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until ¼-inch thick. Be careful not to pound too much or you will tear the meat!
3. Place 1 oz ham and 1 oz cheese on each piece of chicken and fold or roll up tightly. (Make sure cheese is in centre and not near edge or it will leak out while cooking.) Secure with round wooden toothpicks.
4. This process can get a little messy, so hang in there. Working one at a time, place folded chicken in flour mixture and carefully turn to coat both sides. Dip both sides in egg mixture and shake of excess. Dip both sides in crumb mixture. Set aside. Repeat with remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
5. Heat butter and olive oil over medium heat in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Transfer to a baking pan or rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Serve hot. Enjoy!
Per serving (with chicken breasts):
352 calories / 11 g total fat (3.6 g saturated fat) / 43 g protein / 17 g carbohydrate / 2.4 g fibre / 154 mg cholesterol /
640 mg sodium
who we are
what we offer
all the extras