copyright fitstop fitness for women 2010
Recipes - Janet & Greta's Hearty Choke Dip
Roasted artichoke dip with spinach and Asiago.
Makes: A good sized bowl
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) artichoke hearts (not marinated)
- 1/2 large yellow sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut into thirds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup light sour cream (3% or 5%)
- 1 package light garden vegetable cream cheese (such as Philadelphia brand - 8oz/250g)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 or 5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, and chopped
- 1 cup packed shredded Asiago cheese, divided (4 oz/113g)
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. Drain artichokes and pat dry using paper towels. Cut artichokes in half. Place artichokes in a small casserole dish or baking pan. Add chopped onions and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Mix well. Roast uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring once, halfway through roasting time.
3. While vegetables are roasting, place kidney beans, sour cream, cream cheese, lemon zest, and hot pepper sauce in the bowl of a food processor. Whirl until smooth.
4. Remove artichoke mixture from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375ºF. Let vegetables cool for 5 minutes, then add to ingredients in food processor. Pulse on and off until mixture is well-blended but still slightly lumpy. Transfer artichoke mixture to a bowl and stir in spinach, a pinch of black pepper, and all but 2 tbsp Asiago cheese. Spoon mixture back into casserole dish. Top with remaining 2 tbsp Asiago cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, on middle oven rack for 30 minutes, until mixture bubbles around edges and top turns a light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. It's hot! Serve with multigrain pita chips or whole-grain crackers.
6. Tip: Make sure spinach is well-dried (use paper towels to squeeze out excess moisture) before adding to dip.
Per serving (about 1/3 cup):
143 calories / 7.9 g total fat (3.9 g saturated fat) / 7 g protein / 12 g carbohydrate / 2.8 g fibre / 22 mg cholesterol / 334 mg sodium
who we are
what we offer
all the extras